Monday 26 May 2008

Walletgate: the resolution

Okay, okay, OKAY.  My conscience has been pricked regarding the wallet and its contents.  My final decision is this:

  • The wallet and all its cards will be sent anonymously to the owner's workplace, the name of which was on the Makro cash and carry card.  The book of stamps will be used to cover the postage.
  • The £120 has been donated in the owner's name to the charity that Ariane suggested the other day.  Proof here.  A note will be placed in the wallet to advise Mr Nunn of his good deed.
And, in the words of McAlmont and Butler: Yes, I do feel better.

4 comments:

Hattie said...

I can't believe you donated somebody else's money without their consent (even if it was for a good cause)! Jeez, I hope you never find my wallet. I would never see that £2.37 again.

anonemouse said...

after a severe pricking, good to see that while your conscience may have felt a little sore, it's still working fine...
brilliant call on the cash too, sir, but are you sure you've not also found and donated the 170 CHF i lost last week to another good cause?
btw, just where did those two pairs (count 'em!) of new jeans come from anyway...?

Graham said...

Hattie: I think if that happened to me I'd feel quite pleased (once the anger had subsided). He may even have an epiphany and devote the remainder of his life to charitable work.

ER: I donated your money to the Writer's Block Benevolent Fund. The jeans were a present from the Jean Genie.

Ariane said...

Hattie: I too was torn on this, but given the choices, it's much better than buying jeans with it! At least now a disabled person will have a better life, even if Mr C Nunn won't. To be fair, he's probably come to terms with his loss by now, is employed, and would have been statistically unlikely to put the money to as good use (though, granted, I, you and ER would still have given it back, and I still think that's the right thing to do...)

Gray: Thanks for helping my mate out. I told her the story (before I read this post or knew you'd donated, funnily enough!) and she was a little shocked but very grateful. May I suggest you take the last two posts off your blog now before the police and/or Mr C Nunn catch up with you?