Friday 23 May 2008

Finders keepers?

Yesterday, dear reader, I was faced with a moral quandary that has tested my position as an upstanding pillar of society. I had just finished a long day at work, and having locked up the premises I hopped into my truck for what I expected to be a familiar and uneventful drive home. As I accelerated away, however, I noticed a small black object lying in the road. Initially I dismissed it – it was probably a child’s shoe or something similar – but my curiosity was sufficiently roused for me to do a U turn at the roundabout to return and take a look. Slowing down I could see that it was, in fact, a wallet. I hopped out, slipped it in my pocket and continued to drive home without looking at it further. Back at my flat I examined the contents and found the following:
  • Six £20 notes
  • Two debit cards
  • Nine first class stamps (current value £3.24)
  • A Jersey £1 note
  • A Homebase ‘Spend and Save’ card along with voucher worth £4.00
  • Four (four!) RAC membership cards
  • A Boots Advantage card
  • A Makro card
  • A Nectar card
  • A Shell driver’s club card
  • A Matalan reward card (classy)
  • A BT chargecard (relic from the pre-mobile age?)
  • An international phone card with ‘Ghana’ written on the front
  • A business card for a Premier Inn
  • A Morrison Miles card (presumably for petrol purchases?)
  • A voucher for a free cool bag from Wyevale Garden Centres
  • A Co-op dividend card (a department store – not sure if it exists outside East Anglia)
  • A couple of old receipts
Despite all these pieces of identification, there was no hint of an address or telephone number. If this man expects to get his wallet back, he hasn’t made it easy. As I see it, I have the following options:

  1. Keep everything of value and throw the rest away, since he’s bound to have cancelled the debit cards already
  2. Hand everything over to the police and hope that it remains unclaimed for long enough to get it back again
  3. Keep the money and hand everything else over to the police, pretending that it was empty when I found it
  4. Try to track the guy down myself and return the wallet anonymously minus the money
  5. Try to track the guy down myself and return the wallet and the money in the hope of a reward from the grateful owner and a warm glow from being a good citizen
Before you help me decide, there are some other factors to consider. Firstly, the guy’s name is Mr C Nunn. That’s right, he’s just one pen stroke away from being me. We could be distantly related. Surely he would want me to have the money and do our clan proud. Secondly, I have had to take unpaid time off work recently because of my refrigeration problems. This is no fault of my own. To find this wallet – which contains not only sufficient funds to remunerate my lost earnings but also the symbolic voucher for a free cool bag – can mean just one thing: that I have been singled out not by chance but by the providence of a just and sympathetic universe. Thirdly, on a less positive note, I found the wallet directly outside the local police station. My workplace is next door to it. It’s possible that someone inside saw me pick up the wallet without realising what I was doing, and they might have even recognised me or my truck. If my namesake realises where he dropped it and reports it missing, they might put two and two together and come and find me, blowing me away in a hail of machine gun fire before I can beg for forgiveness (Suffolk Police are mean mo-fos). We must concede, however, that this is quite unlikely.

So what would you do? If I lost my wallet, I would of course be eternally grateful to anyone who was honest enough to return it. But I honestly wouldn't expect them to. I would regard it as one of life’s hard but firm lessons in taking better care of my valuables. If I reunite Mr C Nunn with his wallet he’ll never learn that lesson and could find himself mislaying animals, children or small nuclear devices further down the line. Lives could be jeopardised all because I failed to take the hard line. It is surely, therefore, my solemn duty to bite the bullet and have a good ol’ spending spree.

One further possibility that has only just occurred to me is that the wallet was planted there (in close proximity to the police station to allow ample opportunity to do the right thing), as part of a new ITV hidden camera show called ‘Britain’s Most Selfish Bastards’. I’ll be there in a high-def freeze frame as the word BASTARD is stamped across my face to a chorus of audience boos, instantly condemning me to a life of notoriety as a local ne'er do well.

It’s so hard to be good these days.

9 comments:

anonemouse said...

as someone who has lost two wallets (once personally, once vicariously) over the last month and a half, and who had the first vaporise entirely into the ether replete with credit cards (on banks in three different countries, none of which -- the countries, let alone the banks -- i am in now), cash (about 400€), keepsakes (old cinema tickets, fortune cookies fortunes and fotos) and all, and the second merely lightened of both the cash within (around 170CHF) and of the wallet itself (altho' my passport and credit card were returned unharmed...), i feel somewhat qualified to offer an opinion in this case (unlike in all other cases where i have no interest, experience or idea whatsoever, not that something that piffling would ever stop me from commenting...)
and so, dear sir, given that those who read this, and your comic, know you to be: a social pillar rather than a pariah; a hard-working truck-driving everyman rather than a tasty, craft wide boy who lives on his wits and the lack of others'; a person with a healthy sense of curiosity rather than a morbid one (a child's shoe lying in the road. and where would the shoeless child be, under someone else's car?); as a meticulous maker of lists rather than a slapdash thrower together of things; then the best, in fact the only, course of action would be to go to the cop shop first thing this morning, return the wallet and its contents exactly as you found them and live happily thereafter in the knowledge that your karma is intact and unsullied...
that way, if it is a suffolk sting, you'll come out squeaky clean (and possibly get an award and a pic in the local paper...), you will never, ever be branded a bar-steward by ITV or even some obscure local cable channel, and, if it all turns out to have been some kind of surrealist, existentialist happening, and the 'C' is but a 'G' with a bar missing, perhaps your actions will see that bar gradually, imperceptibly but inexorably etched onto each and every piece of ID in the wallet, and the police will soon call you to retreive your rightful property which some kindly soul had handed in at the station of your behalf...
ooo-wee, ooo-wee, the twilight zone is alive and well and living in southern engerland...

anonemouse said...

talk about a one-horse town pardner, gone kinda quiet around here too lately hasn'it?
so, do tell, what did you do with the wallet, or should you now be addressed as craham?

Graham said...

I'm not sure that I should divulge what I did with the wallet. Yes, I do now own two new pairs of jeans but that could be entirely coincidental.

anonemouse said...

don't tell me, but you've also, coincidentally, 'acquired' a new pair of legs too.
so much for your rep as the last upstanding man in suffolk...
better get yourself a hoodie too with your ill-gotten gains, and go hang out down the bus stop or at the back of homebase ('the cokes are on me lads') wiv yer new scally mates, innit?
as re the film review, would have been happy to offer you my humble opinion (having also read the book a few years ago), but am now a bit concerned that my thoughts will either be passed off as your own (should you agree with them) or simply offloaded and attributed to ariane (should you not..)
in the meantime (and i mean 'mean' quite literally...), do have a lovely picnic from your new cool bag on your cheap weekend in jersey at the premier inn, send me one of your nine postcards, wind the RAC up rotten once you've filled up at morrisons' and let's just hope that the wheels don't come off somewhere along the way...
oh, and say hi to your new friends in accra from me too...

Ariane said...

Return it, doofus! Just return it. And feel good about it. You know it's the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Entire heyday, a construction troupe turned up to start edifice a forebears on the unfrequented lot.

The [url=http://poa7.000space.com/usd.html]504729[/url] [url=http://limaimenapolnostu.edublogs.org/2012/11/28/symbol-of-rome-in-danger-colosseum-okoltsuyut-iron-column/]1cm5w4vl[/url] [url=http://masuher.blogdetik.com/2012/11/29/russia-has-withdrawn-from-the-market-sets-for-doomsday/]2ir3z6jc[/url] [url=http://poa7.000space.com/tda.html]328412[/url] 262506 children a actually's nearest's 5-year-old daughter in fact took an attracted on in all the

job wealthy on next door and pooped much of each habits observing the workers.

Anonymous said...

Joined heyday, a construction entourage turned up to start stratagem a forebears on the sketchy in lot.

The [url=http://mios.my-board.org/sdu.html]824430[/url] [url=http://daclac.000space.com/dan.html]737008[/url] 937279 887841 175015 children subject's 5-year-old daughter undeniable took an mass in all the

grind in the chips on next door and drained much of each former observing the workers.

Anonymous said...

One hour, a construction arduous turned up to start erection a billet on the sketchy in lot.

The 2se2c6qo 522955 [url=http://poa7.000space.com/tda.html]328412[/url] 431393 777328 immature exit's 5-year-old daughter as a consequence took an interest in all the

zest moneyed on next door and puke much of each bonfire of just the same from time to time observing the workers.

Anonymous said...

Characteristic patch, a construction band turned up to start structure a structure on the foolish lot.

The 192294 738348 [url=http://blogs.hoy.es/tudess/2012/11/28/south-african-simultaneously-married-to-four-women/]1yk1x5uo[/url] 937279 408913 teenaged a person's nearest's 5-year-old daughter undeniable took an weight in all the

skiff present on next door and drained much of each age observing the workers.