Friday 25 April 2008

Pearls of wisdom

I have a sore wisdom tooth. Or rather, a sore gum caused by the arrival of a wisdom tooth. This particular wisdom tooth has been half in, half out for the past three years and becomes uncomfortable every few months. I keep hoping that one day it will get its toothy arse in gear and emerge fully but so far it remains stuck. As things stand, I only have two and a half wisdom teeth despite being two weeks shy of my 31st birthday. This morning I decided to find out whether this was abnormal or not. Among the information I managed to garner from Google was that most people get their wisdom teeth between the ages of 18 – 25, but it’s possible to have more, or fewer, than four. So maybe my lower right back molar will forever be deprived of an end terrace extension.

I was also curious as to why we get wisdom teeth in the first place. It seems that they’re an evolutionary hangover from when we had larger jaws, which would explain why they take longer to force their way through. But 31 years? That’s just slack.

Rejected titles for this post:
The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth
I am a molar and I live in a hole
Jaw: The Revenge

1 comment:

Hattie said...

Jaw: The Revenge is hilarious.