Thursday 5 June 2008

Jacqueline

For reasons that aren’t interesting, I have had to move my fortnight’s summer holiday forward to the end of this month. That means I have just three weeks and two days to go! Of course when I say summer holiday, I don’t mean in the ‘going away’ sense. I don’t do those. I mean two weeks to myself at home, which in my view is far better. Going abroad has never appealed to me. I’m sure the world is a wonderful place to explore, but for now I’m quite happy in England. I’ve visited Wales, Switzerland and France and that’s quite enough for now. I’m the only person I know who loves the English weather. If someone handed me free flights and accommodation to a warm European resort, I’d pass it on. Not interested. Instead I shall be spending my break trying to regain some of the ground I’ve lost on the comic in recent weeks, which will hopefully enable me to make it through to my next break at Christmas. I’m a simple man with modest needs. Every girl’s dream.

The comic has, however, left me with a dilemma regarding this summer’s television viewing. My commitment to producing three strips per week means that I will probably have to forego Big Brother this year, and possibly also the European Championships. England’s absence from the latter will make it easier, but three weeks of wall to wall football is a rare treat that will be hard to pass up. I may just cherry pick the best looking games and bite the bullet with the rest.

In other news, I am currently in a great deal of discomfort following the sudden onset of lower back pain. Normally with such a thing you’d have a foolish lifting incident to look back on regretfully, an origin on which to expend your anger and annoyance. This time though, I have no idea what I’ve done to solicit such distress. Is my bad posture catching up with me? Was that jar of jalfrezi sauce heavier than it looked? Am I just getting old? I bought a tube of ibuprofen gel to work its magic but I might as well have rubbed Fairy Liquid into my upper arse cheeks. Might try that as well just in case.

4 comments:

anonemouse said...

go on then, i'll bite (albeit not your fairylike upper arse cheeks)...
explain, if you will:
- the title?
- the love of english weather?
- big brother?
- and, you've teased us all enuf, what pray tell are the reasons?
sitting at home on your own for two weeks trying to catch up on getting ahead with DP does sound like a blast tho'...
and whoever said travel expands the mind?

Graham said...

Are my cryptic post titles annoying? I suspect they are, but I like them. I was referring to the song of that name by Franz Ferdinand because it tends to enter my head when I'm thinking about holidays.

What's to explain about a love of English weather? I like it when it's overcast, drizzly and grey. It opens the senses more.

Big Brother is a reality TV show. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. I usually watch it because it's entertaining in a dreadful sort of way. Given your harsh dismissal of Beauty and the Geek though, I'm guessing that reality TV doesn't play a big role in your general viewing.

anonemouse said...

not annoying so much as intriguing...
however, not having the faintest idea what they may refer to does sometimes stray dangerously closed to my irked button...
and, upon reflection, you may concur that 'cryptic' could well be rather too short and simple a word to describe your entitling...
how about 'esperpentico' (and here, to enlighten you, is the esperanto definition from wikipedia: http://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperpento)
as re your very apt description of what passes for weather over there, and in regard to you reaction to which i am in complete awe of, it's doing sth very similar here today and, personally, i find my senses crawl up into a fetal ball and refused to be coaxed out of it until the skies are blue and the sun warms 'em again...
as re BB, i have 'heard' of it but, seeing as i don't actually watch any TV at all, i cannot really comment...
apart from to say i know a couple of people who work/have worked on different national versions of the show and have even had the dubious pleasure of meeting the people who created and developed it (but don't watch it themselves...), and even they admit it is simply a lot of warmed-up old wank designed to dumb down the televisually hypontised masses even more than was previously thought possible by the most cynical of minds...
still, enjoy it while you can...

anonemouse said...

btw us old 'uns (or at least this 'un) did get the UB40 reference, for once...
but d'you think the young 'uns will also know what a UB40 was?
and, no, it was a German WWII sub...